FIPB may be asked to vet downstream projects.
Huawei, as well as ZTE, has of late shown interest in setting up a manufacturing facility in India.
The government will miss the June 30 deadline to implement nationwide mobile number portability, as telecom public sectors MTNL and BSNL, and a new operator Uninor, are not ready with equipment.
Bajaj Auto Managing Director Rajiv Bajaj said the company has, in partnership with Renault-Nissan, developed India's most fuel efficient and least-polluting car engine.
The Centre extended the deadline for implementing cleaner emission norms for two-wheelers across the country, a move that has come as a big relief for auto manufacturers, especially the country's largest two-wheeler maker, Hero Honda.
Coca-Cola's sports-loving CEO on the strategy that has helped him steer the soft drinks giant out of various crises.
The world's third largest tobacco company by sales volume, Japan Tobacco Inc, has invested $65 million (Rs 293 crore) in its Indian unit without increasing its shareholding, just days ahead of a government decision to ban foreign direct investment in cigarette manufacturing.
The ministry has said a more effective monitoring mechanism could be set up jointly with the ministries of commerce and urban development to ensure FDI does not 'render policy objectives in a sensitive sector of the economy with limited practical significance'
Leading Chinese telecom equipment manufacturers, Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and ZTE Corporation, have launched an aggressive 'Indianisation' drive. The two companies are replacing Chinese nationals with Indians on their board of directors. The move is seen as an attempt by the companies to change the public perception in India, where Chinese firms are often viewed with suspicion. This would also make it easy for the firms to do business in India.
Key shareholders of low-cost airline SpiceJet have rejected an offer by the Reliance ADA Group to pick up a 51 per cent stake in the airline for Rs 40-45 per share. The offer was made last week.
The much-awaited auction for 3G spectrum has begun. Top telecom operators including Bharti, Vodafone, Idea, RCom and Tatas are in the fray.
The government is likely to set up a Group of Ministers (GOM) to take a final decision on divesting stake in the telecommunications company, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
The finance ministry has suggested easing of the rules for calculating foreign investment in a company. The proposed rules, which take out sundry entries of indirect investment, will make life easier for companies, which have high foreign institutional investment and face the risk of breaching sector-specific caps.
Half the money, to be invested over the next 12 months, will be used to expand its mobile network.
Only those foreign companies with an existing presence in Indian telecom finally put in bids for the 3G auction. The last date for applications was March 19.
In a move that could revolutionise internet access for millions, state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is considering opening up its last mile local loop (fixed copper lines) for broadband services to private players.
The recommendations include divestment of 30 per cent government equity in BSNL, reducing the company's workforce by a third, and cancelling the telecom equipment order for 93 million GSM lines, replacing it with network outsourcing deals.
Subject to Union government approval, the board of state-owned telecom company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd on Thursday cleared a proposal for the divestment of 30 per cent government equity in it, as suggested by a committee set up under Sam Pitroda, the prime minister's telecom and infrastructure advisor.